Date Range: June 19 – August 31, 2023
Location: 105 Gibson Drive, Markham ON, L3R 3K7
Wage: $ 15.50 / hr (maximum 90 hours)
Deadline: May 31, 2023
We are looking for an Assistant to support the Cultural Fair Coordinator in the planning and execution of a one-day fair for local Afghan families in our surrounding communities of the 105Gibson Centre (South Markham and North Scarborough).
This Afghan Cultural Fair Event is tentatively planned to take place on Saturday August 26, 10am – 3:30pm at the 105 Gibson Centre. Its purpose is to provide a safe space and venue for the local Afghan community to celebrate and showcase their culture through food, music, dance, arts, crafts, clothing, and other displays. This event will engage local Afghan newcomers into a communitybuilding event as well as recruiting some to becoming volunteers in the planning, facilitating, and supporting of this cultural day. Finally, this will be an opportunity for other cultures to learn and deeper appreciate the Afghan community.
Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Working with and reporting directly to the Cultural Fair Coordinator to develop, promote, and execute this one-day event on August 26, 2023 (10am-3:30pm)
- Working closely and cooperatively with other 105Gibson staff who will be supporting this event
- Working cooperatively with event volunteers (of all ages)
- Helping the Coordinator to promote team unity
- Demonstrating and promoting clear and healthy communication
- Planning will begin in early July and until the day of the event with more hours invested closer to the event.
Skills and Requirements:
- In agreement with the Mission and Vision Statement of the Centre
- Display a passion for building relationships and working with the coordinator to develop external Afghan resources and increase networking for the event
- A team player with an ability to work positively with the planning team
- Willing to be the hands and feet of the coordinator when called upon
- Basic administrative and management skills – must be organized and accountable
- Ability to connect with, lead and motivate young adults and youth in the Afghan community
- Connections with local Afghan communities and fluency in at least one of the languages spoken in Afghanistan (Farsi, Pashto, & Dari) will be an asset.